Sunday, October 3, 2010

Painted Floors

We are thinking about painting our "Summerhouse Floor",  I came across this "How to paint your floor" from Elle Decor.  I thought you might like the instructions!  I will keep you posted on how we went.


Here are Lahey’s step-by-step instructions for a foolproof painted wood floor:

• scarify the surface with 150-grit sandpaper
• wash the floor with a powdered detergent cleaner to remove all dust and deposits
• allow floor to dry completely (this may take a couple of days)
• apply a primer suitable for your paint type
• allow primer to dry overnight
• lightly sand primer with 220-grit sandpaper
• wipe floor clean with mineral spirits, using tack cloth or a rag
• apply the first, thin coat of paint with a natural-bristle brush (which creates a smooth finish, rather than with a roller, which creates a stippled finish)
• allow paint to dry 24 hours
• apply two more thin coasts, allowing 24 hours between each

After the final coat of paint, it’s acceptable to walk on the surface in socks after 24 hours. “But we really don’t want high heels or to drag that piano yet,” says Lahey. “An alkyd paint dries overnight, but takes 28 days to cure to maximum hardness.”

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure it's going to look really wonderful. Looking forward to the final pictures. Enjoy a lovely day! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wanting to paint my floors white, but am yet to convince my husband.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments, I love hearing from you!